Ants

Living in Monolithic Domes is a unique experience! How did you arrange your furniture? What did you do with a second floor loft with low curved ceilings? How did you landscape? Who did your kitchen cabinets?

Ants

Postby PASS » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:07 pm

:lol: Ants, little teenie ones, medium ones and biig ones. They have all, at some time or another, in the last six years of our living in our dome, found their way into, the smallest crack, usually some crack illuminated by interior light. The main entry is around wood trim of our windows.
They don't or won't touch the foam but do like living between the airform and the wood trim. I have found that perimeter ground chemical barrioras well as regular early spring spraying of these trim areas, is the only way possible. The interesting observation is not seeing a lot of ants but seeing ant debris, i.e., little pieces of dead ant bodies, usually hauled out by other ants, on the floor under a window sill, etc. After a couple of years , we have finally gotten them discouraged through this practice. Pass
Don Pass has a fifty foot dome in the Boston Mtns.25 miles south of Harrison, Arkansas
PASS
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby Anonymous » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:57 pm

I was reading the archives of a sustainable architecture mailing list... and came across the idea of "Ant Moats" (not the lil plastic cups you put around hummingbird feeders either)

The archives are accesible here : http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/essa/

I'll past the text here :

Ant moats are a simple low-tech way to protect any building from termites,
carpenter ants etc. About 6' from the house dig a moat one foot deep in the
gound- put the small construction debris (except cement based and plastic) in the
moat- sawdust, small pieces of wood, EPS, anything that will trap air. When
you are done cover the moat with 4" regular topsoil and insert some small
pipes into the moat about every 12' apart- dose the moat with sugar water- about
one cup each pipe. You will get colonies of ants living in the moat - AND
NOWHERE ELSE. These ants are territorial and will keep everything away from the
house- and they are cannibals. Refresh the sugar water twice a year.

The topic came up in a discussion of straw bales homes.

The "best" ant will come to find a nice living place in your house and stop at the moat- you just have to remember to feed your colonies occassionally. We have used ant moats in over 100 of our super-insulated homes to keep ants "on-guard" against other invaders. The idea was developed in the early 80's by us and the folks at Cornell University. It's too "low-tech" to be popular and doesn't benefit anyone commercially- except the home owner- so it has never spread much. It does work- so welcome to use the technique.

Kricket Smith-Gary, Pres.
http://www.remarcinc.com
Anonymous

Postby jtownse2 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:13 am

You have problems with ants, we have problems with scorpians here at our dome in Nevada. They seem to sqeeze in some how. Not very big ones, two inches long or less. We came home last night and found one scurring around the kichen floor. We have been in our dome a little over a year now and killed around five or six so far. Aside from sealing the dome so tight that we die from lack of air, we do not know what we can do.
Wayne
jtownse2
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Ant Moat Question: Fire Ants?

Postby Anonymous » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:49 am

Hi,

The idea of an ant moat is fascinating. However, I'd be afraid to try it in Texas because fire ants are such a problem -- I do NOT want to attract them as my perimeter guards, because they'd do their best to keep me away, too. Just curious if the ant moat idea has been successfully tried in an area where these nasty critters are common.

Any news?

Thanks,

Monica
Anonymous

Return to Dome Living