Where do I begin?

Did you recently discover Monolithic Domes? Post your questions here.

Where do I begin?

Postby SouthNicholson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi,

I have wanted to build my own home from a very young age, but I don't know how to begin the process of building a dome home. I have looked at the A Word Picture - How to Design Your Own... article at http://www.monolithic.com/stories/word-picture and the Residential evaluator at http://www.monolithic.com/stories/residential-evaluator although I haven't taken the time to complete the residential evaluator. I have also looked at the Factors to Consider article at http://www.monolithic.com/stories/word-picture-factors

I'm no architect or designer. I just build software. I really don't know where to go from here. I see all these really cool dome homes and it looks overwhelming to design something that beautiful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
SouthNicholson
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby cindysteele » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Dear Rob,

Thank you for inquiring about Monolithic Domes. The long answer to your question is at this link on our website http://www.monolithic.com/topics/get-home. The short answer is to call 972 483-7423 and ask for sales.

Cynthia
cindysteele
Monolithic Dome Institute
Monolithic Dome Institute

Postby robmed » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 pm

SouthNicholson wrote:I'm no architect or designer. I just build software. I really don't know where to go from here. I see all these really cool dome homes and it looks overwhelming to design something that beautiful.

As another software developer named Rob, who's also interested in building a Monolithic dome (with some shipping containers thrown in for good measure), I feel a lot of empathy for you in your quest. How are things coming along, if I might ask?

As for me, I'm interested in building in stages, keeping costs low, and doing as much work myself as I can. To that end, I'm looking to build a multi-dome home where each dome is relatively small, with no second story. I'd like to use shipping containers as the hallways that connect each dome, which I expect will reduce the complexity of the required airforms and reduce construction costs. This will hopefully make it easier to create later additions, so I can start with a couple of domes and expand the house with new domes later on. I've got a number of other ideas about what I'd like to build. Feel free to drop me a message if you'd like to discuss your dome project with another neophyte.

Rob
robmed
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Postby mkrepel » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Robmed,

Have you considered using Monolithic Tunnels to connect your domes? It would take some preplanning to get the proper openings in your domes as you build them, but I think this would be a very good approach to what you are considering. They may cost a little more than shipping containers, but upkeep and asthetics would go in favor of the tunnels. They would also be much more energy efficient.

You could blank out the airforms in a circular pattern as you would for any inset opening and then stud and foam the areas while you wait for more resources to build onto the house. Then all it would take is a Sawsall to remove the wall and build the tunnel between the domes. You could even go ahead and foam in the airform and forego the concrete in that area (don't forget extra rebar around the opening). That way you would have a continuous weather barrier until you are ready to build the interconnect. You would have to put something over the foam to keep it from being a fire hazard, but perhaps a layer of lath and stucco would work here.

Just a couple of ideas to consider...

Mike
mkrepel
Platinum Level Member
Platinum Level Member

Postby robmed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Mike,

mkrepel wrote:Have you considered using Monolithic Tunnels to connect your domes? It would take some preplanning to get the proper openings in your domes as you build them, but I think this would be a very good approach to what you are considering. They may cost a little more than shipping containers, but upkeep and asthetics would go in favor of the tunnels. They would also be much more energy efficient.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't aware of Monolithic Tunnels as an option, but I shall certainly explore that possibility now that you've brought them to my attention.

mkrepel wrote:You could blank out the airforms in a circular pattern as you would for any inset opening and then stud and foam the areas while you wait for more resources to build onto the house. Then all it would take is a Sawsall to remove the wall and build the tunnel between the domes. You could even go ahead and foam in the airform and forego the concrete in that area (don't forget extra rebar around the opening). That way you would have a continuous weather barrier until you are ready to build the interconnect. You would have to put something over the foam to keep it from being a fire hazard, but perhaps a layer of lath and stucco would work here.

Great suggestion! And it seems that it would work regardless of which type of connecting system I ended up using. This seems like the way to do it, and barring unforeseen changes I will certainly go this route.

It's also quite encouraging that you (who sound like you know a lot more about dome building than I do) are offering concrete (ha!) suggestions about how to better achieve this idea, rather than giving me a list of reasons why my approach isn't workable. Makes me feel a little bit more confident about tackling this project, so thanks Mike.

Rob
robmed
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Postby robmed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 pm

In an unrelated vein, I recently picked up the book "Real Working Drawings" (ISBN-13: 978-1461191117) and it looks like it will be quite helpful in coming up with 3D models of the domes I want to build. It's rather fun to work through the book, though the learning curve might be a bit steep if you're not already familiar with 3D modelling / drafting software.

This might prove a good starting point for other newbies like myself that are beginning their explorations of the world of dome homes.
robmed
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Return to Newbies