Septic Systems

Engineering questions? HVAC issues? This is the place to dwell on technicalities.

Septic Systems

Postby cav10x » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:30 pm

Good day everyone. I am still in pursuit of finding a piece of land on which to build a dome. I have a piece of land that is priced right and is an area that works but there is a major problem. Perc, perc,perc. I have been in contact with the local authorities and they have told me that the area will not pass a perc test for a septic system. The underlying ground is composed of good old clay and the upper soil level is shallow. I was told that flooding does not occur in the area but that when it rains it takes a very long time for the soil to disipate the water. My fiance really loves this piece of ground and the township has no deed restrictions so we would be able to build here. Anyone have an ideas as far as a septic system that might work in this environment?

Thank you.
cav10x
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby BWARDEN » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:01 pm

We have totally no perc-ing clay at our house. The board of health specified a sand filter. It is a 60' long X 12' wide X 5' deep hole filled with sand. Near the surface are some perforated pvc pipes which distribute the output of the 1500 gallon conventional septic tank across the top of the sand filter. Another set of perforated pipes are at the bottom of the sand filter to collect the filtered stuff and outputs it to a small clorinator tank, where we drop a couple of swimming pool type chlorine tablets every once in a while. The output of the chlorinator then flows out to the environment.

Our house is in Ohio, which has just recently changed its policy on septics, and now no longer permits sand filters for new installations. They are now calling for mound systems, which I am not familiar with.

In any case, it is possible to have a septic system in non perc-ing soil. You just have to convince your board of health to approve it. They should be aware of these alternate systems. Good luck.
Bob Warden
Eagle's Eye
Stop financing a government that doesn't support your values. Sell your U.S. Savings Bonds and Treasuries. Money talks.
BWARDEN
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Aerobic Treatment Units

Postby farmshareacres » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:16 pm

I do not know much about these but you should be able to google more information. They run a standard septic tank into an aerbic treatment process that cleans the water and then to a chlorinator and finally the resulting output is sprayed out through a sprinkler system. These are in use in Oklahoma but state law requires a maintenance contract from the vendor to mainain the chlorination process - a cost overhead I do not like. Your state is likely different. The units come complete and automated except for adding chlorine periodically.

Hope this helps
Dave
farmshareacres
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby bruck » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:57 pm

bruck
Silver Level Member
Silver Level Member

Postby DAVE LARSEN » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi cav10x,
Try to find out if you local building dept. will allow you a composting toilet. This should cut down on the size of the septic tank you would need. Also a greywater irragation system would further cut down on the septic tank and leechfield size. I've seen homes in the mountains in Colorado that had leech fields where they had to blast through the rock to make the trenches for the drain tile. They backfilled with sand and that was the way the local building dept. wanted it done. Also look into Infiltrators for your leech field.
Thank you,
Dave Larsen
DAVE LARSEN
Gold Level Member
Gold Level Member

Septic Systems

Postby cav10x » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Thank you all for the information. I have inquired with the health department of the county in question and have found out that short of something very drastic this beautiful 4 acre flat land will only be usable for agricultural use. Does anyone know of someone that has installed a zero discharge septic system? I have seen a design that incorporated an aerobic system that drained its effluent into a greenhouse..... I have not been able to locate someone that has such a system setup or how much it would cost to design and build. The cost of acreage in my area is the major stumbling block for my fiance and I. Looking at designs and doing a bit of the labor intensive construction such as installing tile may allow us to build a house for around 200k, but when .12 acre lots start at 77k you can imagine imagine the dilema we are facing with trying to make our housing needs a reality. The cheapest usable acre we have found in our county is 325k
cav10x
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby TCLynx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Where are you located?

There are always options, unfortunately many of them are more $$ than can be justified. There are some places in this country that allow for composting and grey water systems but most do not.

There are also onsite treatment systems that can render the water useful for irrigation if not potable but these are the $$ options.

There are composting toilets and other options that might be acceptable to the authorities for that side of things but even if composting is viable, there is still grey water to deal with.

I have heard about arobic systems that claim the water can then be discharged shallow enough to use for irrigation but that doesn't mean the local authorities would agree.

Mound systems are pretty common here in FL but that is probably due to high water tables and no lack of perc.
TCLynx
Planning to build in central FL.
http://www.TCLynx.com
TCLynx
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Septic System

Postby cav10x » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:02 pm

I live in Philadelphia. I would like to build in one of the surounding counties so that I can keep my daily comute to under 90 minutes.
cav10x
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Return to Technical Questions