Monolithic Dome Homes vs Geodesic Dome Homes

Engineering questions? HVAC issues? This is the place to dwell on technicalities.

Monolithic Dome Homes vs Geodesic Dome Homes

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:35 am

My husband and I are getting ready to build our retirement home in the hills of Tennessee. We were looking at log homes or homes with steel beam construction when a friend suggested a dome home because of the tornados in Tenn. Checking out the internet I found out there are different types of dome homes and was wondering which is the best and why? My friend suggests monolithic dome homes. What's the difference between monolithic and geodesic?
Anonymous

Postby Cloud Hidden » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:40 am

The quick answer is that they have very little in common. Monolithic domes are continuous concrete with continuous insulation. No air gaps, no moisture gaps, no engineering weaknesses. Geodesic are typically wood framed, with lots of gaps and joints needing weatherproofing. M domes can take on a huge variety of shapes. G domes have fewer design possibilities. Look throughout the collection of web sites and you'll see a wealth of possibilities with the M domes that cannot be mimic-ed with G domes, plus strength and energy characteristics that cannot be matched.
Cloud Hidden
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:56 am

Lisa,
One thing that every home-buyer should consider is the future cost AND availability of energy, both electricity and gas.
In the near future, every aspect of modern life in America will change (and indeed, is already so) with the decreasing availability and subsequent increasing cost of energy.

When it comes to resistance to storms and tornados, no other above-gound structure will give you the peace of mind that a Monolithic Dome can offer.

Personally, I like to be comfortable year-round when at home.
The Monolithic Dome is by far the most energy-smart home available.
A Monolithic Dome will ensure your comfort over a lifetime, with far lower maintenance requirements.

No, I don't work for Monolithic, nor do I (yet) own a dome home.
I plan to do so though, and for the above reasons a Monolithic Dome is the ONLY structure I would consider for my home.
Anonymous

Return to Technical Questions