Adobe Houses vs Monolithic Dome

Engineering questions? HVAC issues? This is the place to dwell on technicalities.

Adobe Houses vs Monolithic Dome

Postby kimhender » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:29 pm

i read a story on yahoo news about a adobe "dome" home that uses soil dug from the construction site that is mixed with a small amount of cement and water and rammed into tubular bags which are laid one on top of the other to form walls. barbed wire is placed between the layers to hold the bags together and provide reinforcement. as a result is a self-supporting dome.
my question is: how do these homes stand up to a monolithic? i looked at his website and seen a couple of homes with what looks to be concert on the outside but most are just the bags, with one picture of the inside done. is most of these types of home left undone?
yahoo link is: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... n_adobe_dc
his web page is: http://www.calearth.org/
kimhender
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby Minnesota » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:27 pm

They pass california earthquake tests and look pretty neat. Plans and stuff are pretty expensive to my mind. I'd sure like to know how they fill one of those long bags and place it on the dome.
Minnesota
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:34 am

From what I can gather, the bags are filled where their position is on the structure, instead of on the ground and then hoisted into place (a 30' long bag with dirt and cement in it must be pretty heavy no?)

I think that it would be quite easy to fill -- perhaps with an air compressor as aid? or a really long ramming rod / tamper type of deal.

I too was looking at calearth and it's homes -- pretty impressive, and goes along 'better' with my idea of green / sustainable construction. I love domes, but there is a lot of energy 'cost' associated with the production of the materials in their use (i.e. concrete, steel, perhaps foam, dunno).

Peace
Mike
Anonymous

Sprayed adobe (i.e. substituting adobe for concrete in dome)

Postby MarkDMabry » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:27 pm

Has anyone investigated using adobe in the same structure as a concrete monolithic dome and in the same way (sprayed on the inside of an inflated form)?

Eh? Eh? Double-Eh?

Marrddddk in Texas
MarkDMabry
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Postby Minnesota » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:15 pm

I haven't tried it but have given a lot of thought to the idea. Adobe has lots of compressive strength but not much in tension. I think it might work but i would be forever afraid it would collapse on my head. As long as there was no 'test' such as a severe storm it might be fine but when you need it most it might fail.
Minnesota
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Return to Technical Questions