What about a daylight basement under the dome?

Need help refining the design of your new dome? Have a wacky new design idea you'd like to bounce off the others? Let's have it.

What about a daylight basement under the dome?

Postby jbays » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:01 pm

My wife and I are working on a design where a dome rests upon a block basement. We were thinking of having a wood floor between the daylight basement and the dome's main floor. Also we were thinking that we could cap the top course of block and insert the standard rebar vertical uprights into the cap itself. The floor for the main level of the dome would begin inside the block ring at the bottom of the last course. Has anyone ever had experiences with similar construction designs, i.e. basements with a dome? I would appreciate any feeedback.

Jim
jbays
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Postby Minnesota » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:10 pm

I don't know what you mean by a "daylight" basement. If I wanted a basement in a dome I would have the airform made with an 8 or 10 foot stemwall and sink it into the ground. A wood floor is a fine idea. I think Gary Clark has one on the second floor of his house.
Minnesota
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Postby Minnesota » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:12 pm

I don't know what you mean by a "daylight" basement. If I wanted a basement in a dome I would have the airform made with an 8 or 10 foot stemwall and sink it into the ground.
Minnesota
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Postby Cloud Hidden » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:51 pm

My house has a daylight basement (or walk-out basement). You wouldn't build the basement part from block though. Use air form or spray in place walls, or poured wall, all carefully designed and engineered, of course.
Cloud Hidden
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Postby Minnesota » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:45 pm

I wondered if that was what was meant by "daylight". Thanks for the explanation. I agree about the block. Maybe ICF.
Minnesota
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Daylight basement

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:34 am

In this part of the world (South Dakota), a "daylight" basement refers to one that is only excavated down to normal frost level (about 4 feet) but is poured for a full 8 or 9 foot ceiling height... thus rising several feet above the ground. This allows for full size windows above grade -- versus a full basement where the window wells are either tiny, or excavated below grade.

Here's a link to a traditional house plan with a daylight basement: http://www.houseplanguys.com/view-house ... Num=23-307

This differs from "walkout", where one side of the basement is sunk into a hill and the opposite side is at grade level, allowing you to walk out patio doors....

Kevin
Kevin
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Postby Cloud Hidden » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:29 pm

That could also make sense. Same answer could apply to both. No concrete block foundation, but other possibilities, including air forming.
Cloud Hidden
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Response to Daylight Basement question

Postby jbays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:30 am

Thanks for the feedback on this question folks. I have started looking at the costs and design factors pertaining to ICF basement and pouring the basement all at once. Within our basement we are looking to have an entry that faces south and that occurs on the downslope of a hill. To either side there will be two retaining walls and the rest of the basement will be below surface. The dome plan is based on the 34' Orion with some modifications, such as the basement, to provide living quarters for two couples. In a sense this will be a condo-dome.

thanks,
jim
jbays
Aluminum Level Member
Aluminum Level Member

Postby Minnesota » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:25 pm

I would also compare the costs of icf versus airfoming it!
Minnesota
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

3/4 sphere for basement

Postby DJS » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:37 pm

Would it be possible to have an airform that is 3/4 of a sphere (for example 46' by 34.5') and use the bottom 1/4 of the airform to form the walls of the basement?
DJS
Platinum Level Member
Platinum Level Member

Postby Cloud Hidden » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:53 pm

use the bottom 1/4 of the airform to form the walls of the basement?

Yup.
Cloud Hidden
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Return to Design and Dream