Evans Shotcrete Domes Buiding in November

Many exciting Monolithic Dome projects are now in progress! MountainView, Tranquility Dome, Safe Harbor, Dome of a Home, Curlew Keep, Way of the Circle and more! Keep us updated on the progress of YOUR project.

Evans Shotcrete Domes Buiding in November

Postby Len Evans » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:10 am

Today we are spraying our foam. It is new to be relying on the weather and when the window of opportunity exists there is no weekend off. We are running 4 kereoseneheaters of 50,000 btu, and have the underslab heat cranked. Wish us luck! I'll update tonight . thanks Len
Len Evans
Evans Shotcrete Domes inc.
Cold Lake Ab. Canada
email info@evansdomes.com
Phone 780-594-6398
Len Evans
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby FenixDome » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:16 am

Is this a 4th home or the 4th dome of a multi-dome home? Is there pictures or artists rendering? Are you going to chronicle the dome on the itsa web site like Eagle's Eye did? Or perhaps on your own web-site.

We are tentively planning to start building in January if everything comes together in time and that is our coldest and wettest time of the year. November is warmer than it usually is--at least I think so. Do you agree, 3DO?
FenixDome
Titanium Level Member
Titanium Level Member

WE couldn't spray the dome

Postby Len Evans » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm

We gave it our best shot. Our foaming man Louvic Spraying showed up, we cranked the heat we had wiped the whole dome to get the melting ice off the airform. The sun just did not come out yesterday to warm up the airform. Rod the foam king made a decicion about 1oclock that it's not going to happen. So now after 2000 dollars invested in heating equipment and kerosene we spent the rest off the sunday tracking down tarps. 16 12x20 tarps and also got a 1 million btu heater from louvic spraying who lives 2 hours from us. Today we are attaching the tarps together and putting them on our dome like you see people do to their poodles. We have to make another airlock to get the heater inside our back doorway and tomarrow we will spray. I have a website in the works it is evansshotcretedomes.com. I also have a huge collection of photo's including our first two domes which were ecoshells and our first Monolithic dome as well as our current project Dome in the snow. To receive photo's e-mail me at esd@telus.net untill my website is on line. Talk to you later. Len
Len Evans
Cold Lake Ab. Canada
Phone 780-594-6398
Len Evans
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby 3dO » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:16 pm

[quote] November is warmer than it usually is--at least I think so. Do you agree, 3DO?

It seems warmer than usual to me also. Kind of nice to be able to open the house and enjoy fresh air without getting cold. The weather here is definitely better than where I live in CA. This time of year it starts to get foggy (cold thick fog, everything feels wet) and stays that way through February. I much prefer the weather here in Vegas. :D
John Donohew

Please don't send spam. I'm a vegetarian.
3dO
Titanium Level Member
Titanium Level Member

Postby Kevin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 pm

I'll be curious how you come out Lee. From my own experience, spraying wasn't any worse in the cold and snow, but mixing and clean-up are no fun out-side in the winter. The water gets COLD!

Also, we used small propane heaters to temper the cold during the shotcrete phase. Propane puts a lot of moisture in the air to help the curing process -- which was a nice byproduct.
Kevin
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Postby TCLynx » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:43 am

the moisture might be a nice byproduct for shotcrete but not for foam!!!!!
Good luck!!!!! I'm down here in FL wondering how to schedule foaming since humidity is often high.
At least with cold you can sometimes anticipate that by heating things up you decrease the Relative Humidity (so long as the heating up doesn't add too much.)
Looking forward to updates.
TCLynx
Planning to build in central FL.
http://www.TCLynx.com
TCLynx
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Postby hitssquad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:36 pm

TCLynx wrote:I'm down here in FL wondering how to schedule foaming since humidity is often high.

I wonder if a radiator inline-with-the-fan and continuously-refilled with liquid nitrogen might be able to keep the humidity down.
hitssquad
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Postby DCHERAMIE » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:22 am

Would the radiator not freeze up and be plugged with ice, not allowing any air through?
DCHERAMIE
Silver Level Member
Silver Level Member

Evans shotcrete domes in CANADA is hanging rebar ya!

Postby Len Evans » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 pm

Well it was a groulling few days. We had trouble getting the tarps on top but when my sprayman (Louvic Spraying) showed up his crew also helped. They wanted to get it done too. They had already had two wasted trips because of the conditions) So we cranked the heater the 1000000 btu propane and wiped the dome off with towels as the frost left it and turned into a beautiful waterfall. He also let us use his 48 inch fan to help circulate the air and get that humidity out. We were at about 65% at 70 ' f. He decided to use a winter foam and as he sprayed the first coat, he had to tend to quite a few bubbles. But this morning we had three kerosene heaters in there and had it up to 70' farenheit and about 35%humidity. We sprayed with summer foam today and it worked well. We only used one inflater fan and about half inch in the manometer.We wanted less air from outside since it snowed about 6 inches. That is good because now our skidsteer is busy for the next few days while the rest of us hang rebar. I'm meeting with my website help tomarrow and we should be on line with some pic's anyways. http://www.evansshotcretedomes.com. If you can't wait e-mail me at esd@telus.net and I can forward some. Thanks for taking interest in our project and I will talk to you soon.[
Len Evans
Cold Lake Ab. Canada
Phone 780-594-6398
Len Evans
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Our rebar is up

Postby Len Evans » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:26 am

We were out today hanging the last of the rebar around the doors and windows so we are almost ready to spray. Our electrician is showing up tomarrow to do something he has never done before.( On a sidenote the bank inspector came today and checked off our list the shingles, siding, soffit, facia, backfilling, underslab heating, basement floor, eavestroughing,framing and sheathing, septic system , and then said that he needs a different form from now on for progress payments) then he said we ruined his day because now he has to go look at all those box houses. Anyway We are installing our electrical conduit tomarrow and then as soon as it get's a little warmer we are spraying. Sorry about the website it is there just not launched. Soon It will haoppen. Regards Len
Len Evans
Cold Lake Ab. Canada
Phone 780-594-6398
Len Evans
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby TCLynx » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:49 am

it is so difficult to fill out those check box forms for things that don't conform.
TCLynx
TCLynx
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

Power went out this afternoon dome stood alone

Postby Len Evans » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 am

My brother and I spent today cleaning up the interior of the dome while we waited for the electrician to show up and install the conduit.Cleaning up the overspray and such from the foaming. Electrician never showed so we went home with only the one inflater fan on. 2 hours later we received a call from our watchdog saying the power had gone out. We immediately raced out to the dome site to discover our generator will not start at -30C. But our dome did not budge. Thankfully it is a calm evening. What a weird feeling to go in the dome at this stage and have no sounds like the heaters or the fan going on. Power is back on now three hours later and everything is fine.So now we are at the mercy of contractors again and then we are going for it with the shotcrete. bye for now Len.
Len Evans
Cold Lake Ab. Canada
Phone 780-594-6398
Len Evans
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Postby 3dO » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:27 am

:shock: Looks like it's time to get an engine block heater for the generator.
John Donohew

Please don't send spam. I'm a vegetarian.
3dO
Titanium Level Member
Titanium Level Member

Postby TCLynx » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 am

Luckily his foam was sturdy and the rebar was probably tied well to help support!
TCLynx
TCLynx
Diamond Level Member
Diamond Level Member

WE are shot creting

Postby Len Evans » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 pm

WE just finished our fourth day This is so hard it is fun. Three of us are doing it. We shotcretye rock
Len Evans
Cold Lake Ab. Canada
Phone 780-594-6398
Len Evans
Copper Level Member
Copper Level Member

Next

Return to Domes In Progress