Introducing: Eagle's Eye

Many exciting Monolithic Dome projects are now in progress! MountainView, Tranquility Dome, Safe Harbor, Dome of a Home, Curlew Keep, Way of the Circle and more! Keep us updated on the progress of YOUR project.

Re: Introducing: Eagle's Eye

Postby Dave Stevens » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:33 pm

On a positive note, I have operated as an electric utility for the last two months, as I was a net seller of around 500 KWHRs of electricity to the grid. Whoo Hooo, I made about $45 over two months! Plugging that number into a calculator for return on investment is pretty depressing.

Bob,
ROI really has two components, avoided cost plus net sold. For instance, If I generate 50 KWh per day and I only use 30 KWh of it, I have avoided paying for 30 KWH and I get to sell 20 KWh back to the power company. In my case, I pay $0.1070 per KWh and I get paid $0.0524/KWh for the excess. I calculate the ROI using 30*.1070 + 20*.0524 = $4.26. Multiplying by 365 to get it to a yearly rate and dividing by your system cost (actual cost - rebate - tax credits) should give you the ROI. Mine consistently runs in the 10-15% ROI range which is a lot better than any other investment I have made recently.
Dave Stevens
Silver Level Member
Silver Level Member

Postby BWARDEN » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Dave,

So, by my math, $4.26 X 365/10% return = a system cost of around $15.5K. So you are generating 50KWHRs per day with a $15.5K system? That's amazing.
Bob Warden
Eagle's Eye
Stop financing a government that doesn't support your values. Sell your U.S. Savings Bonds and Treasuries. Money talks.
BWARDEN
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Postby Dave Stevens » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Those numbers were an example for the ROI calculation. My system is a 9.2 KW system that cost (after rebates and tax credits) $12K. It is only one month old and the averages have been 40.44 KWh/day generated and 37.03 KWh used. My rates just changed to $0.1143/KWh for purchased power and only $0.034/KWh for sold power. Average ROI has been ~10.1% including several days when no power was generated.

Dave

P.S. Is your website still active? I really enjoyed it and would still like to refer to it.
Dave Stevens
Silver Level Member
Silver Level Member

Postby BWARDEN » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Unfortunately the site that was hosting my photos and captions was taken down by hackers numerous times, and the system administrator had enough with repairing the damage each time, and took the site down. I don't blame them. I keep thinking that I'll put the photos and captions from the old site onto a CD, but alas, there are always other things that come first on the list. It's a shame that we have to put up with vandalism in the world. Unfortunately I think it will get much worse before it gets better, ala mall flash mobs, London rioting, etc. There is no respect for property these days. Sorry.

That is a really good price for an installed system that size. What percentage of the system cost was covered by rebates and tax credits? Did you do the installation yourself? What power equipment are you using? My battery packs alone cost more than you paid for your entire system after rebates and credits. Sigh!
Bob Warden
Eagle's Eye
Stop financing a government that doesn't support your values. Sell your U.S. Savings Bonds and Treasuries. Money talks.
BWARDEN
Dome Owner
Dome Owner

Postby Dave Stevens » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:04 pm

The system is 40 Canadian Solar 230 watt panels with 40 enphase 190 watt micro-inverters, so it is purely a grid-connected system with no battery backup. I guess you would call it a self-install (I hired a local construction company to mount the panels/inverters on the roof) as I did all the wiring myself. Wiring is easy with the micro-inverters - just daisy chain up to 15 inverters together and run 12-3 romax to a circuit breaker, then to a disconnect switch, then to your service panel. I used Unirac surface mount hardware - they are at a fixed 45 degree tilt and point directly South. The panels cost $1.99/watt and I get a $2.00/watt rebate.

It is disappointing about your website. My next project is getting the solar assisted radiant heating system designed, installed, and functional. I remember being fascinated with your heating system and wanted to refresh my memory.
Dave Stevens
Silver Level Member
Silver Level Member

Previous

Return to Domes In Progress